Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homemade Playdough

http://greenmomhappymom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/playdough.jpg

My children love to play with playdough, as most do. I can't stand the smell, though, so I used to say 'yes' less often than they'd like. Then I came across one of the many recipes online for homemade playdough. Not only is it much less expensive than storebought, I can scent it any way I want! I can make pink and red dough and scent it cinnamon-y or even black, scented with anise! My Lambies love the smooth texture.



Homemade Play Dough
4 cups cheap white flour
4 cups water
2 cups cheap salt
1/2 cup cheap canola oil
8 tsp. cream of tarter
food coloring and essential oils as desired

Mix everything together in a large saucepan and stir with a wooden spoon, over medium heat, until the dough forms. This only takes a couple of minutes. When the dough forms, plop is out onto a counter and knead a few times until smooth.

If you want different colors, wait to add the food coloring until now. Separate the dough into as many different colors as you want and add different food coloring to each. Knead it in and add drops until the color you want develops.

Store in zippy bags.

1 comment:

Missional Family said...

Always a favorite here!! So much better than the store bought kind!!